Where there's a day

Political correctness is all that we care about these days. Children who have entered schools from this week will not learn the days of the week by their names as we but by new avatars like Wife's Day, Bosses' Day, Mother's Day or Environment Day. Before you jump out of your beds and start dialling the number of the HRD ministry to sue, I would like to assure you that I am just joking: no such threats exist as yet.

The way we are going, we might have a course correction soon considering how each day of the year has a tag attached to it: March 8 was Women's Day, June 1 was Flip a Coin Day, June 5 World Environment Day, June 7 is Chocolate Icecream Day and December 22 is, believe it or not, World Orgasm Day. Added to these, certain months have tags too. Among other things, June is Lovers' Month in Turkey. Plus, there's Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day and numerous others.

Why this fetish for tokenism? While on all other days, each one of us leaves no 9 sized carbon footprints all over the planet, on June 5 we become card-holding green crusaders. While we are getting all worked up about keeping pace with the changing days and their different celebrations, the card companies are actually laughing all the way to the bank. Can we now have a "Ban Tokenism Day", please? A day when we can just be ourselves?


Comments

dear akshay, see them as reasons to celebrate, a cause to take up, busting stress, excuse to get out of routine, indulging in something new, etc. the token/tagged days come in variety of flavors let people cherish each.
aditya said…
The tokenism indeed has been dragged a bit too far. I have to agree !
Parasmani said…
I agree with you , Akshay.
People do need reasons to celebrate but here only the vendors are getting fat wallets. I have seen that people unnecessarily feel obliged to overspend and actually get stressed out over "this one's day" and "that one's day".
Unknown said…
@ Amit: I do understand that we need reasons to celebrate since we are human beings in the end. But I guess, we have a fetish for tokenism that we just cannot seem to avoid. We need to move beyond that.

@ Aditya: I am really flattered by your comment. Thanks for writing in though.

@ Paras Didi: Your comments have always been highly encouraging, which motivates me to write further with a lot of dedication. Yes, I couldn't agree with you more.
Unknown said…
@ Amit: I do understand that we need reasons to celebrate since we are human beings in the end. But I guess, we have a fetish for tokenism that we just cannot seem to avoid. We need to move beyond that.

@ Aditya: I am really flattered by your comment. Thanks for writing in though.

@ Paras Didi: Your comments have always been highly encouraging, which motivates me to write further with a lot of dedication. Yes, I couldn't agree with you more.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Mrityunjaya

Book Review: Mahabharata

Hawa Mahal: A Natural Cooling System